Science for Impact is the motto of WUR. Likely, your PhD project will be interesting for an audience broader then the academia. Your results can be brought to a societal audience in many ways, such as blogs, newspaper articles, popular magazines, etc. But there is a clear distinction between writing for science and writing for society. In the course Popular Science Writing you will be trained in attractive and engaging writing and learn how to reach your targeted audience.
The course Popular Science Writing exists of six two-hour online sessions. During the course participants will write on articles, after the course these articles can be ready for publishing. For each session there will be an assignment that will be discussed during the session. The lecturer will give feedback and will explain how a story can be made more attractive for a bigger audience.
After successful completion of this course, participants are expected to be able to:
- understand the importance of writing for science for a bigger audience
- learn what is interesting and relevant for a bigger audience, and what is not
- set up a writing plan: from idea to text plan
- balance between complexity and cleareness
- formulate actively and animated
- structure clearly
- apply popularisation techniques
- approach an editorial office, and get them on board
This course is intended for PhD candidates, preference will be given to PhD candidates of WUR, PhD candidates from other universities will only be admitted when places remain available.
Former occurrences of this course
10-17 Febr 2021